Rev. Janice Bowker | Senior Pastor
God’s Acre MCC
Rev. Janice Bowker has been a fully licensed ordained minister with UFMCC [Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Churches] since her ordination in 2003.
Rev. Janice has been in ministry since 1997 and is highly qualified within the denomination, as well as in the secular world.
- Lay Pastor at MCC Bournemouth: 1997
- Served Candidate year at MCC North London: 2001
- Ordained: September 2003
- Clergy on Staff MCC North London: 2003
- Associate Pastor at MCC Bournemouth: 2004
- Interim Pastor at MCC Portsmouth: 2005
- Founder of Serenity Healing Ministry: 2006
- University Chaplain: 2006
- Interim Pastor at MCC South London: 2010
- Intentional Interim Pastor at Imago Dei MCC, PA: 2011
- Senior Pastor at Imago Dei MCC: January 2012 to 2014
- Senior Pastor at God’s Acre MCC: September 2014 to present
Working in Partnership:
- Participant in London Pride and Gay Blessings Tent
- Liaison with Surrey Police Women’s Refuges
- NSPCC [National Society for the protection of Cruelty to Children]
- Adviser to Management & Trustees at World Heritage Environmental Studies Center
- Adviser and Member of Lesbian & Gay Liaison Officers [LAGLO]
- Youth worker BALGI [Bi, Lesbian, Gay & Inquiring]
- Social Service Advisor for Child Protection.
- Founding member first “Bourne Free” Pride event in Bournemouth, UK
- HIV/Aids work with Triangle Project in Cape Town, South Africa
- Adviser to the Change Project & Relate counseling for LGBT people
- Meetings with the Desmond Tutu AIDS Foundation, Guguletu Township, Cape Town, South Africa
- Retreat facilitator three-year program for New Light MCC, Hagerstown, MD
- Served on MCC Interview Panels for Clergy Candidates
- Guest Speaker at the Thanksgiving Service for the West Chester Religious Council, West Chester, PA
- Guest of the Mayor at the Thanksgiving Service in Wimborne, UK
- Officiated at the opening of the Change Project Counseling Service for LGBT people in UK
Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Churches:
- “Think Globally ~ Act Locally” Workshop on Fair Trade at General Conference, Calgary, Canada
- “The Art of Healing” Workshop – Regional Conference, Hanover, Germany
- Loss and Bereavement Workshop, Poole Borough Council, UK
Rev. Janice is also the founder and Sen. Pastor of Serenity Healing Ministry in the UK; Rev. Janice held regular healing clinics and has traveled extensively throughout the USA, Germany and Africa offering healing workshops, teachings and healing sessions. Through Serenity Healing Ministry, Rev. Janice regularly raised funds to help create and sustain projects in Cape Town, South Africa and other areas in need throughout the world.
Rev. Janice attended La Sainte Union Seminary, King Alfred’s University, London Bible College, Spurgeon’s College, Samaritan College Europe, as well as completing a short internship with
Rev. Elder Dr. Nancy Wilson [Former MCC Moderator] at Church of the Trinity MCC, Sarasota, Florida.
Rev. Janice started her career in Pharmacy, progressing to management with several International Pharmaceutical Companies. Finally, she moved into teaching with Social Services, specializing in Child Protection, Foster Care and working with Vulnerable Adults.
As well as owning her own Management Consultancy Company in the UK [where she worked with local colleges and local authorities to promote management training within Social Care], Rev. Janice also worked secularly for a disability rights charity: PROdisability.
Rev. Janice holds a diploma in Human Resource Development from the Royal Society of Arts; a certificate from the British Psychological Society and a diploma in Advice and Guidance from Oxford and Cambridge; she has also studied Pharmacy at Salford
University, as well as holding qualifications in Business Studies.
Rev. Janice is also a Fellow of the Institute for Learning [IfL] in the UK.
Rev. Janice was a Trustee of the Pier Project, in partnership with The Bournemouth Crime and Disorder Reduction Partnership, and was also a member of the Bournemouth Crime and Disorder Family Violence Group.
Rev. Janice moved, with her wife, to the USA in 2011 and is excited to continue to use her specialist gifts and experience within the denomination; Rev. Janice is delighted to have served as the Senior Pastor, at God’s Acre MCC, since September 2014
In March 2022 Rev. Janice, and her wife, became proud United States Citizens